Tips to learn spelling words:
From 1st grade teacher
http://www.freewebs .com/epp43/ spellingspot. htm
From The North Coast Institute
http://www.ncistude nt.net/StudySkil ls/WritingSkills /Spelling. htm
http://mspowell. com/spelling. html
Free printable worksheets, help and advice from an experienced English teacher.
- poor spelling creates a bad impression
- it’s the first thing a reader notices
- examiners, teachers, prospective employers,
often place undue weight on spelling
- anxiety about spelling inhibits a child’s writing
especially their choice of words
- even in these days of word processors there are
still times when we need to write
(It would be useful to print this page for future reference)
When you come across a new word ALWAYS use the
LOOK – THINK – COVER – WRITE – CHECK method to
Go here for more!
http://www.spelling .hemscott. net/#advice
– Over 42,000 spelling words and ten learning games!
– A REAL person who says each word and sentence.
– Free home pages for teachers and parents to save lists.
– How To Videos to explain to teachers and parents how to use SpellingCity. com.
– A free forum and newsletter with more vocabulary and spelling resources!
– Free printables for handwriting practice with your saved lists.
– A Resources Section which highlights features and existing lists for Dolch words, compound words, sound-alikes (their, there, they’re), contractions, possessives, and more.
Printable Handwriting Worksheets for combined spelling and handwriting practice can be created from any saved list (this feature only works if the list is saved). Choices includes three sizes of lines, capitals or small letters, script or cursive, and with directional arrows on or off. How cool is that?
Everyday Spelling from Scott Foresman (Grades 1-8) Check out what the public schools are teaching for spelling!
This site has:
Words in the news
Misspelled word lists
Mathsurf Texas – Free online math activities by grade level, keyed to Texas
And much more!
From the 03-02-07 LD and ADHD Newsletter (scroll down the page to the SPELLING tab)
http://gtotd. blogspot. com/2009/ 03/mnemonic- devices-for- spelling. html
http://www.ict4us. com/r.kuijt/ index-spelling. htm
http://www.learning info.org/ spelling- mnemonics. htm
http://www.nathhan. com/mnemonicexam ple.htm
http://www.scribd. com/doc/7205434/ Spelling- Aids
http://www.eudesign .com/mnems/ spellaid. htm
http://www.commonly misspelledwords. org/
http://www.happychi ld.org.uk/ acc/tpr/mne/ 0012spel. htm
from LD Online:
Five Guidelines for Learning Spelling and Six Ways for Practicing Spelling
http://www.ldonline .org/article/ 6192
From Article Brain
How to Improve Your Spelling Skills
http://www.articleb rain.com/ Article/How- to-Improve- Your-Spelling- Skills/434